Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sap

I love the analogy of "having one's strength sapped out of her." It is one of those phrases that I used to read in books and picture how it could happen. This year I am experiencing this first hand. I don't really want to talk about it, but all that I know is that I am going to need some prayer to make it through Tuesday, Thursday and every other Friday without having a nervous breakdown.

Yesterday after school I just sat... and stared... at the desert scene on my computer screen. And sat. And sat. A student came in to practice piano... All I did was sit. I didn't really talk to him or his brother and sister... They did their homework, and I sat.

So it is a Wednesday. I am swimming after school. I have choir practice after that. Long day, little strength. I am hoping that because this is a Wednesday I will have a little more peace of mind.

Here's a question for you. Can you approximate the age that you learned how to use a glue stick? When did you learn to put the glue on the smaller piece of paper that you were sticking to the bigger piece of paper, rather than all over the big piece of paper and then approximating the placement of the smaller piece?

I have third graders who don't know how to glue. I have flip books that don't flip because all of the pages are glued together. I have third graders after an entire unit on the brass instruments who can't tell the difference between the trumpet and the trombone. Slide kids... Slide.

Well... That's enough of my sad song. Sorry that this was not quite up beat. I just knew I needed to post so that the records of my life would not go by the way side.