Saturday, April 23, 2005

"Someday I am going to be 40"

Life is full of firsts and lasts. I have been reminded of that many times this week. Personally I like firsts a lot and though lasts are often hard to swallow, I have learned to appreciate them. Since Thursday (when my alarm-clock did me wrong) beginnings and endings have been on my mind and particularly this evening. Possibly because this wonderful junior year is coming to an end, or perhaps it is because I just watched three friends in their last formal production together. (Most likely this is the reason) (It touched me, it was truthful, it was beautiful, it was professional, it was human, and it was my friends.)
I recently saw When Harry Met Sally for the very first time. Besides being touched by the old couples who gave their stories, flabbergasted and puzzled with Harry’s thoughts, and humored by Sally’s impending breakdowns, I was impressed with one of the last lines of the film. I can not quote it to specificity, but Harry says something like this, “When you find the person who you want to spend the rest of your life with, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” I loved it for two reasons A: I am hopeless romantic and love it for its honest qualities. and B: Isn’t that the way we should treat all of the beginnings and endings in our life? We should be so excited about what God holds for us that we run blocks and blocks, miles and miles, years and years, just to get there to Him to live our lives. (Ha! Who says you can’t find truth in a romantic comedy?) Perhaps I am over analyzing the situation, and perhaps that When Harry Met Sally has never had this affect on anyone before, but this is me, and that is what I think.

Song: We’re Gonna Be Friends – The White Stripes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like the way you think.
- O