Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Tuesday's Reflections on Monday

On Monday I subbed. I went to Tabor to work till 10am then I subbed for the rest of the day. It was an interesting day. I don't know how to quite explain my entire experience.

It all began with computers class in which I had to constantly spur one kid on until the end of class. It was a TASK!

After Computers came Learning Support which is a fancy name for Study hall. In study hall, two of my students were arguing about whether Ozzy Osbourne still did drugs or not. They finally decided to ask me and make me the deciding factor. I simply said that whether he does drugs nor or not his brain is already fried enough that no one will ever know for sure. I did let the LS class our 1.5 min. early because they are freshmen and they never get to be at the front of the line to eat. They were quite grateful.

I ate lunch, and then went to "Boys Weights." This class consists of mostly upper class men who are larger than me. They ran a couple of laps, and we went to the weight room. They cranked their music, took off most of their clothes, and started lifting. I went to the office to read a book only to poke my head out of the door when I thought that they were killing each other. There was a lot of screaming, yelling, grunting, and indistinguishable cursing, but there was no fighting and that was what I was the most concerned about. After they had finished lifting, we all traveled back to the gym to stretch. I do not know if I was the victim of a random "pants-ing" or if the kid was just stupid to pull down his own drawers, but I definitely got inadvertently mooned on the way back to the Gym. I debated all of the uncomfortable things I could do to this semi-delinquent kid, but all in all I came to the conclusion that he would not become any less of a delinquent if I did sit all of them down and give them a lecture about appropriate behavior and school protocol. I was not offended by the butt. I was not angered by the butt. Mostly I was amused by it, but I did leave a note for the teacher to remind his class to keep their pants on until they reached the locker room.

Compared to that, the freshmen/sophomore PE class was a breeze. We went outside and played softball. I forgot how awkward freshmen PE class can be. I also forgot how funny it is. I had a good time, but towards the end of the class I had to go to the bathroom and so did about half of the other girls out on the field. They kept yelling, "Can we go now? Miss Hope! I have to go to the BATHROOM!!!"

All in all it was one of my more eventful sub days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my Jen...your stories make my day :) Instead of booty calls you leave booty notes, hehe! I can only imagine the PE teachers reaction to such note!

Becky said...

haha...most excellent post, jen. your stories almost make me wish i had student taught a semester before the actual teaching really began. but then i remember that i don't like being a sub.

anyways, i guess i'll just live vicariously through you!