Friday, May 11, 2007

The wash your hands post did not work


So, About a week ago I posted on the value of hand washing/sanitizing and trying to contain germs. Well this cry for help did not work. It all started on Sunday. My stomach was upset. It wasn't anything that hurt or anything, I just had an enormous amount of extra air in there. (I am feeling rather uninhibited right now, so you may want to run for cover)
After the gaseous experience passed (ahem) I began to feel fuzzy in the head which was accompanied by a strange sensation in my fingers, elbows, and shoulders. (My immune system is completely ridiculous. It creates war zones in all of the joints in my arms.) After these sensations ended I got the "upper sore throat." This begins behind my nose behind the "pharyngeal tonsil." (see diagram) This is an annoying soreness that is just enough to make me want to pour soothing water into my nose, and the only thing that keeps me from doing so is the knowledge that it would burn and cause me to want to swear.
The next day the soreness in the throat had moved down to settle where these things normally do. (It was much less painful than the previous day, probably because of the two tons of elderberry concentrate that I guzzled.) My nasal passages were not to be outdone by my throat, and they began a steady post nasal drip.
Finally today my body feels alright, my head does not. It is slowly draining every last bit of mucus out of my body. I will hopefully be a snot free person by this weekend, or it will be very difficult completing my tasks.

To all of you out there who are wondering, Yes I still wash my hands regularly and use hand sanitizer when hand washing is not available and after every time I blow my nose!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen! I am visiting your blog for the first time as I didn't know you had one before this! Of course you can link to me, I am flattered by your request. :)

As for the handwashing, in nursing school that is the first thing they pounded into our heads: "The #1 way to prevent infection is to wash your hands!" Sorry that you got sick anyway, but hopefully you'll be better soon. :)