Friday, June 22, 2007

Girls in the summer......... (and one boy)

Yesterday was a Girls day in the summer. I took off of work an hour early, and went to Amy and Rachel's. We took care of the cat (I am cat sitting again), and took off south to N.

We ate Chinese food down town. It was so good. They had a wonderful crab salad, coconut shrimp, chicken and broccoli, and scallion beef. I tried the Vegetarian Loe Mein, but it had much too much peanut oil in it. Amy and I split this thing that was labeled butterfly shrimp, but the more I think about it the more I think that it must have been something else. It was like sausage wrapped in rice noodle paper and boiled. (like a dumpling) Not so grand.

After lovely Chinese, we hung out at 10 Thousand Villages. I found so many things that I would have liked to buy, but I restrained myself. Someday I am going back and buying some of the cd's that they had.

We went next door to the etcetera shop, and the buying began. I got a scarf, a large basket, and a corduroy blanket from the 70's. I might make a rug out of the blanket. It is pretty cool.

After that we drove down to an antique store/flea market. Amy picked up these dinosaur toys and started quoting "Firefly." (origionally I wrote The Land Before Time in the quotes.) I was shocked at how many word for word lines she pulled out. I still laugh when I think about it. Amy also found a chair for her parents re-enacting, Rachel found a cup for Laura and Muppet's Treasure Island, and I purchased two ginormous wind chimes. They are beautiful.

I can't imagine that there are people who have never shopped at a garage sale, thrift store, flea market, second hand store, or auction. It is so much fun going out in search of hidden spoils. I think if the average person went in search of this kind of Booty (pirates treasure) instead of the other kind of booty the world would be a much different place. (Unnecessary Wal-Mart shopping would also be cut down considerably.)

After scavenging we went to Josh's house and took naps. (Group nap time is a beautiful thing) When we woke up, Amy and I drove Laura's truck back to Hillsboro, Rachel Drove her car to Taiquando, and Josh and Laura drove out into the country and GOT ENGAGED!!!

Amy and I ate Hamburgers and then went to Justin and Elise's to watch Gilmore Girls and eat Nacho Cheese Doritos and Chunky Chips Ahoy. (Which I decided to forever call Chunky Chips OF HOY)

It was a wonderful day of Girls in the summer.

2 comments:

Mrs. Buller said...

ahh, what a lovely day! we must eat chinese there again!

uumm, so, that wasn't Land Before Time (although i definitely could have done it) that was from the first episode of firefly. umm, yeah. yeah... yeah. that's why rachel commented about me being a nerd. although i guess either way i'm a nerd :s

none said...

1) amy's comment is hilarious.
2) i'm surprised you read my rambling post about this weekend.
3) thanks for telling me you read it--otherwise i'd have had no idea.
4) today is monday, and monday means doing lots of real work, which i should do now.
5) i'm not a communist, even though i sometimes write irrationally about things i read by communist writers.