Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Stick in the mudd no more

Sorry that I have been such a stick in the mud. The honest answer to why my posting has been infrequent and low quality is this: being a first year teacher is the hardest thing that I have ever done.

It stretches me to think, problem solve, teach, research, learn, inspire, guide, and all other noble things that teachers do. It also stretches me to stay calm, not stress, stay positive, and even get out of bed in the morning.

I finally feel like I am getting over my cold/sinus infection, so I am ready to post.

Yesterday was a pretty good day. I had the fifth graders present the projects that they have been working on for a week or so. It was the simple task of coming up with a rhythm accompaniment to a song that we have been learning. After they performed their presentation, I asked the groups questions like: "How did you come up with what you wanted to do? How did you come up with your group name? Were their any natural leaders in your group? Did you feel like the entire group participated?"

One bold and somewhat cheeky student answered the last question in the frankest way possible.

"Well Miss Music, Here's what happened. First K got bossy, and then I got bossy, and then we both got bossy, and then I got mad and quit, and then I got in trouble with you, and then I decided to let K be bossy, and then I just did what she said to do."

All in one breath, all in an impartial definitive vocal tone, which caused the entire class (including me) to erupt with laughter.

"Well," I said "At least he is honest."

The other great thing that happened yesterday was right at the end of the day. I was in the hallway when two of the most upstanding fourth grade boys came down the hall. They were carrying something small cupped in both of their hands. One boy had his hand as the base and the other had his hand as the lid. They were equally sharing the task of transporting this unknown object outside. As they walked by they said,

"By Miss Music, We have to take Chester outside."

"Who is Chester?" I asked.

"Well," they rebounded "We are reading a book about Chester the Cricket in our class and all of the sudden this big cricket shows up in our classroom."

"Can I see him?" I asked, and immediately they produced one of the largest crickets I have ever seen. "Wow, He is huge!" I exclaimed as the cricket realized that he was no longer the captive of his keepers.

The sly cricket began to inch his way up the boy's arm. As soon as my fourth grader realized this cricket's intent, he began to whimper. I thought that he would be ok, because he was holding the darn thing in the first place, but instead of hold his ground the whimper became a cry, the cry became a yell, the yell became a moaning, screaming, yelling, fourth grade boy. They both ran off outside to be rid of Chester the Cricket.

Ah Chester... You made my day

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, I was reading your blog as I was sitting in my Vocal Pedagogy class (bad Lisa!). This Chester story cracked me up and I almost burst out laughing as we talked about the costo-abdominal/diaphragmatic breathing school. Thank you for making my day! I miss you, friend.