Tuesday, September 25, 2007

What's the matter with kids these days

In the musical Bye Bye Birdie Kim's Father sings the song What's The Matter With Kids Today. Today I want to ask myself that question. Seriously, what is the matter with kids these days? Today especially. I have not given a good behavior report since my first three classes this morning. One fifth grader had the guts to tell me that it is because I am young and students think that they can take advantage of me. I came back with the statement:

"I didn't go to school for 23 years to get here and have you not respect me. I worked hard to be here, and you should work hard when I ask you to. I may be young, but that does not mean that I am less qualified to teach you than any other teacher in this building."

For the life of me, I could not remember how long I went to school...

17 years is not 23 years, especially since I am only 24

I didn't mean to fib. It was the first number that came to my head, and sounded logical to me when I was MAD in class. This was earth shattering for me, because I haven't gotten mad in class yet. TODAY I AM MAD



Kids!
I don't know what's wrong with these kids today!
Kids!
Who can understand anything they say!
Kids!
They a disobedient, disrespectful oafs!
Noisy, crazy, dirty, lazy, loafers!
While we're on the subject:
Kids!
You can talk and talk till your face is blue!
Kids!
But they still just do what they want to do!
Why can't they be like we were,
Perfect in every way?
What's the matter with kids today?
Kids!
I've tried to raise him the best I could
Kids! Kids!
Laughing, singing, dancing, grinning, morons!
And while we're on the subject!
Kids! They are just impossible to control!
Kids! With their awful clothes and their rock an' roll!
Why can't they dance like we did
What's wrong with Sammy Caine?
What's the matter with kids today!


I am not saying that every child I have taught today is a complete mess, and even some of the complete messes have redeeming qualities, but on the whole, as a group, they are a disaster. Maybe I see the disaster in them because I constantly see the disaster's in me. Perhaps I need to extend grace to both of my students and to myself. That's right... that's what I will do...


TOMORROW

2 comments:

Mrs. Buller said...

it's ok. you've been in the school of life for at least 23 years. it's all good. you didn't lie.

is this you going postal? quite frankly i'm not really feeling in the postal mood myself. ...maybe that's how it happens...when you least expect it...(dunahanaha *own suspense music*)

keep the faith. you're one of the strongest people i know. you can do it!

Mrs. Buller said...

p.s.
i'm at work, cause i'm an idiot and forgot to post the rotating schedule until today. ugh. but i'm goin' home soon!!!!