Friday, January 18, 2008

four days a week

I firmly believe that students should only attend school four days a week. Fridays, in my opinion, are useless to say the least. If I gave tests, I would give them on Fridays. Now I know why teachers choose to have tests and projects due on Friday. Because there is no other educational point for the day. And, it is a good way to monitor student behavior and focus. "Here, it's Friday, and you have been learning all week, and you really want to goof off. I think that we should see what you remember about what you have learned, and in taking time to do this I won't have to watch your every moove for destructive behaviors."

Class participation, even if students are completely engaged in an activity earlier in the week, on Friday will decrease by at least fifty percent. I am almost sure of it.

Can I blame them? Absolutely not. I think that as a student I remember thinking on Fridays... "Ok, I have a test in English, and a test in History, but the rest of the day I can just goof off because it is Friday, and no one introduces any new information on Friday, so it doesn't count." If those were my thoughts then, I can hardly imaging the thoughts of students right now.

I am all for education... (an obvious statement) But does it have to happen on Friday. I maintain that test scores would improve if we had a four day school week.

Those my friends are my thoughts.

No comments: