Thursday, September 18, 2008

Kindergarten Smile

I can not tell a lie. I was not excited to get another group of kindergartners through first semester this year. They are much easier to work with once they are used to me, used to the rules, and used to school.

Yesterday, I rescued a kindergartner before afternoon kindergarten started. She was walking through the hall way and looked quite lost.

"Mahala, are you lost?"
"Um... Yes I think I am lost."
"Well you just follow me."

I took her to her class, to which she was about 10 minutes early and luckily her teacher was free. Later I passed Mahala and her teacher walking from the front door to the kindergarten room so that "next time you won't get lost."

Two days ago I was in class with kindergartners and we were talking about Gustav Holst and how he wrote The Planets. This spurred a conversation about astronauts and who wanted to be an astronaut someday. This spurred a conversation about what do you want to be when you grow up.

"I wanna be a cowboy."
"I wanna be a fire man."
"I wanna be a chef! So does my brother!"

Then from the front of the crowd a little red headed girl with the HUGEST eyes you have ever seen raised her puppy paw sized hand and said.

"Mrs. Music... I want to be... I want... I... I want to be a... a... a Snow Cone when I grow up."

Well Addi, That is a high aspiration." I said with a smile and vote of confidence.

She smiled back and said, "Yes it is."

3 comments:

none said...

if this post were written in chess notation, my comment would have to be: !!

maybe you already know this, but "!!" means "very good move" in chess.

Amanda said...

HAH I love it!

Mrs. Buller said...

hmm, didn't you once say that if you were a food you would be a snow cone? or was the question if you were a snow cone what flavor would you be? ...i'm having trouble vicariously remembering choir questions....
so delightful! now i must go reply to your email!!