Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Family Reunion

Going to family reunions has never been a part of my life before. I think in my entire life I may have been to two on my mom's side and two on my dad's side. Once every ten years or so, and that's about it.

Sunday I got to go to my first In-law family reunion. It all started with Great Aunt Ruth's 90'th birthday party. It was held at the activity center at the old folks home in her home town. It was quite the display of fresh flowers, four different kinds of cake (white, lemon, chocolate and strawberry), mints, nuts and the other kind on nuts.

Since I happen to be from the small town that Aunt Ruth is from, I knew more of my husband's family than he did. However I did not acknowledge the fact that I did know them.

It was interesting at the party that all of the people looked like the cake, there were four distinct different kinds of people. People directly in Ruth's family, the outer circle of Ruth's family (which was the largest group), the I married into Ruth's family (there's me!!!), and the friends of Ruth and her family.

After the Birthday bash we ran around town and then made our way over to "the church" for the big reunion. (Which was pretty much the same people who were at the birthday party minus the friends of Ruth's family flavor)

Again, I knew more people than my husband. Husband, brother in law, and I were trying to think of clever things to write on our name tags instead of the traditional... "son of so and so." "Married to what's her face." statements that we were seeing.

Here are some of our best

Hello my name is Clinton "I am here for the food."
Hello my name Jen "I married in."
Hello my name is Husband "Antisocial"
Hello my name is Clinton "Mute"
Hello my name is Husband "No questions please."
Hello my name is Jen "I may say I remember you, but that is a lie."

Husband and I got to leave after about an hour and go hang out at my family's. Chris crashed, my sister and I talked. We ate wonderful food and that's about it.

My Sunday and my first in law family reunion.

Ahhh the memories.

No comments: