Friday, November 07, 2008

Eeeeeewwwwwwww

I am not one to air my dirty laundry in public. I much prefer writing about happy happenings, goings on, and other such trifles. Today however, I am going to air my laundry in the hypothetical sense of course. (or maybe not, you be the judge)

Yesterday was a day fulled with wonder and excitement as well as terror and indignation.

I worked a normal school day which was preceded by a staff meeting. After work I went to Target because I was out of my favorite hair product. I also walked around target for a while and then smelled the Christmas display. Have you ever noticed that every store has a distinct smell to their Christmas display. Target is no exception. I found the Christmas tree that I want (Slim Cashmere Pine) to buy after Christmas when I can get it for cheep as free, and then I went to meet Husband at work.

We had a meeting after his work, to which we were late, which made us late for our next meeting. The evening was all summed up with a late drive home much past 9:00 (when Grandma music over here goes to sleep) to eat dinner. Yes, dinner. At past 9:00

I walked into the kitchen, flipped on the light and screamed at the top of my lungs. Husband who was in the bedroom had the thought, "that was not a spider scream," and came out to see what had happened. I beat him to the hall way.

"There is a dead mouse in the middle of the kitchen floor. I am calling Lenkie RIGHT NOW."

So as Husband went to dispose of the varmint. I called Land Lord L.L. (Literally, but Lenkie for short.)(He does not know that I call him Lenkie so don't tell him.) and informed him of the intruder. He was quick to explain the supposed problem,

"They are coming through the front door when people leave it open." he stated.
"Are you sure they are not living in the walls? Yesterday I heard something that I thought was the wind but it could have been scratching in the walls." I questioned.
"No, that couldn't happen."

Couldn't happen my butt!!! I found a hole in the wall between our kitchen cabinet and the wall that was a brilliant idea in the whole "lets cut the hole for the cabinets larger than it has to be so that we know they will fit" construction of our building. I would rate it right up there with the..."Lets put out some cute little street lights on the walk way that will not work that people will flatten, bash, and use as Frisbee goals on the weekends." line of thinking.

Anyway... after talking with Lenkie, Husband and I went and got 17,000 sticky traps at WM and set them out. We finally ate dinner, and then we tried to go to sleep. It was difficult to sleep when every other 5 minutes one of us would violently shudder to think that we are sharing our little abode with who knows how many little friends.

Whoever told that mouse to keel over dead in the middle of the kitchen floor so that we knew there were mice about was a genius.

We are not dirty people. Our food has not been tampered with. We have found no evidences of mice anywhere until the kitchen corps. Why the hecks do I have to deal with this right now?

I'll tell you why... because when it isn't a sprained ankle or the flue, something has to happen to make things exciting.

2 comments:

none said...

1) i had/have the same problem, but i'm messier than you, so it might (in theory) be my own dang fault. except, i checked/cleaned out every square inch of my apartment, and there's nothing for the little buggers to eat or use for nestage. so some other unit in my building is nurturing the vermin.... furiousness @ LL.
2) big, big box 'o poison. i can't stand the idea of glue traps for some reason.
3) your word verification oracle gives me a new idea: boadrop.

Amanda said...

Haha. Remember the night before my wedding when you and Sabrah saw the mice in my kitchen? I'm so glad you waited to tell me! :) DECON - it works wonders. :) Miss you girl!