Saturday, November 19, 2005

honestly

So this has been one of those weeks. The kind that sometimes I am having the time of my life, and other times I am beating my head against a wall. The kind of week that contains someone who says something perfectly wonderful to me and someone else who trounces all over my feelings of worth. The kind of week that when it is over and I face a weekend full of hoops to jump through, I simply want to go home and pop in a movie have my dog at my feet and lay around with my sister. I want her to tell me a story, a shockingly ridiculous hilarious one that makes me laugh so hard that she laughs harder, and then we shush each other for the next half hour.

Here is another thought. It is a thought that has been inspired by some of the most comforting times that I have had both recently and in the past. If the whole personal space thing bothers you I half-way apologize for what I am about to say…but not really… I have realized something, or maybe not realized it, but am sort of coming to a greater awareness of it. Sometimes it is comforting to hang out with a bunch of girls and jump into a pile of my friends in which my entire body; every imperfect inch, limb or stomach, breast or bum, becomes the support of one of my best friends. It is the kind of meaningful touch that says that “closeness is the way I am expressing my gratitude that you are my friend, and that I can keep you up till all hours of the night with my stupid idiosyncrasies, and that you like it when I do. And closeness is my way of saying that no matter what anyone else says or thinks that I think you are magnanimous and that you are stunningly beautiful to me and more importantly to God. And closeness is Our way of saying that we are blessed by God above with these friendships that we should never take for granted and that we will never forget.”

No comments: