Monday, April 23, 2007

Response to Sunday's earthday experience

So, I took the quiz that Doc has on his blog and these are my results. I am not sure how accurate they are because even though my part of Fern's house is only in the 500 sq ft category, the rest of the house is much bigger but I have no idea how much bigger. I think that obviously my biggest problem is the food issue. It is just so difficult to buy and eat food that is locally grown especially when I don't garden or can things.
Anyway do want to encourage anyone who reads this to consider the three R's (and not the scholastic ones) Yes, I am talking about Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Why? Because it is important for us to take care of what God has given us.

CATEGORY ACRES
FOOD 5.9
MOBILITY 0.2
SHELTER 3.2
GOODS/SERVICES 2.5
TOTAL FOOTPRINT 12

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.
WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON.
IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 2.7 PLANETS.
http://www.myfootprint.org/

So what did I do on earth day? After a globally awakening church service, I went to Wichita with Amy and Gallivanted.

It was a wonderful experience, but not very globally friendly. We browsed a lot of stores, and bought not much. I did get a pare of black dress shoes which I was really excited about because I haven't been able to find any that I would buy for about 5 months. I also got a little yellow shirt which I am wearing today. (Hurrah for more clothes to wear for teaching!)We also went to a new store called "World Market." It was like a cross between Pottery Barn, Bed Bath and Beyond, Ten Thousand Villages, and Whole Foods. It was a great place to shop around. Amy bought an incense burner for the incense that Jen Jen brought back from Australia.

After Gallivanting, we went back to Amy's house and strung necklaces. All in all it was a great day!

No comments: