Thursday, May 31, 2007

Change

I am going Home Home for the weekend. I think that this is the new way that I am going to refer to my parents house. Home Home will be my parents, Home will be my burro apartment, and New Home will be my new apartment. (which will eventually be Home)

Yesterday I met with new roommate to talk about furniture and to look at a coffee table that she has. She didn't know if I would want to use it or not.

When entering college, I did not expect to leave college and get a roommate. I thought that roommates were for college, but after spending a year in my own apartment, I find that I am a roommate person. I spend most of my time out of my at other people's houses, or at the library...

1. because my apartment is in the basement and it doesn't have sufficient windows for my comfort,
and
2. because I like being in the same room with another person.

So, back to the roommate situation. I picture it as a merger of two people. You each tally what you own that would be beneficial to the relationship (such as appliances, dishes, furniture, and the such) and then merge these items to produce the likeness of a household. The problem with this situation is that the frequency of turnover of roommates is much higher than other relationships like family and spouse. So, if you move from roommate to roommate, it becomes evident that you buy and sell and store more of the aforementioned household items.

I have had two other roommates, (amy and panda), and New Roommate has had only one other roommate. These were all college roommates, so this is our first out of college roommate experience. I think that we will bring not only material things to each other's lives, but also support as we both start our first "Career" jobs. It will also be nice to have someone to rant with and to laugh with. I am sure that it will cushion the blow of leaving practically everyone I know and branching out to a completely new town.

Anyway.... This is for change, this is for the unknown.

No comments: