Thursday, May 24, 2007

Pirates

This evening I am going to watch Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. I will not hesitate to say that I am excited as well as skeptical.

When I saw the Curse of the Black Pearl, I loved it so much that I think I bought it at full price when it first came out. This action goes against my "six month movie rule" under which I am not allowed to buy a movie until it has been out for six months and/or the price has gone down approximately $5 or $6. I thought that Jonny Depp was wonderful. I loved how many of the scenes were so similar to the actual pirates ride at Disney World. I liked the way that it appealed to so many people, and how the plot made you pity Barbosa as well as want him out of the picture at the end of the film.

Last year when I saw Dead Man's Chest I was much less impressed. I thought that the effects and stunts were alright. The movie was well done, but I thought that it was extremely dark. The opening scene in the jail with the tortured screams of the prisoners was unnecessary, and for me it was unwanted. Also, Davy Jones and his crew contained no comical characters as the last movie's villain's had. I do have to admit that they did try to make Davy Jones character rounded. The only character on that boat who was dynamic was Bootstraps Bill, and he was still as dark even in his transformation.
On the positive side of the film, I liked Jack Sparrow again as always. I thought that it was a great Idea to bring back Barbosa at the end. It is good that they found ways to integrate the cast from the previous movie. Orlando Bloom was not nearly as annoying as Will Turner than he is as Paris in "Troy." I am intrigued to find out more about Tia Dalma. (The witch doctor character).

So after tonight I will have an opinion on the next film. I will not immediately write about it, so that I do not taint any one's opinion of the film. I am hoping that this series will be like most trilogies in that the first film and the last film will be the best films in the series.

No comments: