Thursday, August 23, 2007

87 million new passwords

So,
As a part of being a teacher, I have to know a lot of passwords. My network log-in and password, my e-mail log-in and password, my grade book log-in and password, my phone log-in and yes... password, as well as many others that I can't remember right now. I started thinking about this Log-in and password system. It is great in theory, but the fact that some of the log-in and passwords change every 75 days, and others change every 45 days is beginning to seem daunting. That plus the rule that your new log-in and password must not be the same or similar as the last 12 passwords that I have chosen. In some cases that means that I can not use any of the same Log-in and passwords for the next three years.

For some people, this would be no problem. Yet, I am not some people. In fact, I am not most people. I have had the same or similar log-in and password for the past 5 years, and I am a creature of Habit. When 75 days roll around, I fear that I will freeze up and go into something similar to diabetic shock. Why oh why can't this system be like the system in the burro. One log-in, One password, Every year the same. I am ceremoniously sticking my tongue out at my cruddy compy. (PC for you techies out there)

Random Thought: If you really want to throw someone off in a durring a task that should be mindless and uneducational, Press the Spanish button in the self check out at the grocery store for them. It is amazing how much more we have to stop and think about what we should do next.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ouch, that's a lot of passwords. I HATE changing passwords, so I feel your pain.

Becky said...

here's the best solution to your password woes:

use the same word every time.

change the number behind (or before) the word to the current month.

example: becky08 - august password, becky09 - september password, etc.

works like a charm.