Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Week one down, Week two in progress

Well,
I am successfully done with my first week of being a real teacher. It is an unusual experience to have a classroom and get to do whatever one wants (within reason). I am learning a lot about the developmental abilities of elementary students. Just when I think I might have second grade figured out, they pull a fast one on me and I am back at square one. All that I have to say is that the only lesson that I think went amazingly wonderful with my second graders involved me singing and dancing to a song called Zudio for about an hour. I did not go to the YMCA that day. I already had cardio jumping around with those kids.

I also have made a wonderful discovery about the wonders of exercise. Just when you think that you have given it your all, you should try pushing yourself physically to the next level. It will do wonders for your relaxation ability. (burning 400-500 calories doesn't hurt either). I have already told Amy that I am going to become a Y rat, and I am well on my way. The only draw back to the y rat-ness is the fact that there are other more fit and physically gorgeous Y rats who make me feel like a Y possum rather than a Y rat. My goal is to become a Y prairie dog. That way I won't feel so intimidating or as intimidated as a true Y rat.

(if you understood the last paragraph, you need mental assistance.)

Another new event in my life is the fact that Chris finally has a job in the same town as me. It is a wonderful feeling that he is just minutes away working hard at a new thing just like I am. Yesterday we tackled getting him settled in his new little duplex. I am not kidding when I said it was little. It works Great for him, but the closet system in the place leaves something to be desired. Thank goodness that there is a wonderful second hand furniture shop in which he bought a beautiful cedar lined wardrobe for less bucks than big bucks. Tonight after group conferences we will probably again tackle getting him settled, and hopefully the fiber fill from stuffing chair cushions will someday dislodge itself from every crevice of my living room floor.

Well, I fear that I have rambled on long enough. I guess that this is enough information for you to sink your teeth into for a while. If you want to know what I did on the weekend, the answer is simple: I did what I have done every weekend since I moved north.

Spent Friday night at my parents house. Saw my friend Sabrah from CA. Talked in my sleep to my sister, which included saying "boom" when she dropped her boot while putting it away, as well as telling her "make sure you put the books on the shelf, like the doctor did." Spent Saturday with Justin and Elise, Spent Saturday night at Rachel's, Spent Sunday in the burro, and came back north on Sunday afternoon.

Off to great adventure and molding young minds!

Lots back to being gone!!!

3 comments:

Mrs. Buller said...

i need mental assistance. so does rachel. i totally understand that a prairie dog would be better than a rat (or a possum). so much more approachable and fun (and they don't have that hairless tail like rats and possums)

lots and lots back to being gone! (is it bad that that is somehow making more sense in my mind? like i said, i need mental assistance)

Becky said...

hooray! you're a real teacher! and...i saw your classroom this past weekend. yes, that is right. for some reason, i was in salina. (actually geen and i came up to help forman celebrate her birthday).

we weren't there for very long, but she did want us to stop by and see her classroom. after seeing her room (and palmgren's) i proceeded to ask to see your classroom. then i felt like an idiot. you see, i KNOW you live in salina and work there - but for some reason it slipped my mind that i could actually STOP and VISIT you.

i could blame it on the "first week of school" or my 6th grade babies who are so needy and clueless, but i guess it just comes down to me not having a schedule laid out in front of me. so i apologize.

i guess the only way i can make it up is to schedule another time for us to hang out. how does the weekend of september 22 look to you? i was thinking of having people over to my new place (i've moved out of mother's house!!!) and i want you to come.

anyways, let me know. i need to wrap up things and GO TO BED. you know what that's like. i'm worthless if i don't get at least 7 hours of sleep.

well, goodnight, my fair jen. i hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

I also need mental assistance. I just thought it was the guy below me who smokes pot. I also have an inability to remember names. Love you...um....Judy?? :)

Lisa