Friday, August 31, 2007

The Legend of Chuck

Chuck, What a strange name to linger on as a legend. I know some pretty cool Chucks though from my past lives (AKA my childhood and high school years, so it is isn't that surprising to again be presented with a pretty cool Chuck. The problem with this is that presentation of Chuck has not been fully revealed to me.

Chuck was a teacher here at my school for many many many many years. One of the teachers here said that she taught with Chuck for more than 15 years, and Chuck was around before she was. Chuck taught fourth and fifth grade, and his legend lives on.

The teacher's lounge here at school is affectionately called Chuck's lounge, because Chuck spent so much of his "extra time" there. E-mails go out that say, "birthdays are posted on the fridge in Chuck's Lounge." I feel cheated because I have not met this glorious Chuck, and I fear I never will.

Chuck lives right close to the school, so some times they announce things to him. (Our P.A. system is heard clearly even if you are about a block away from the school.) Teachers meetings begin with, "All teacher's please come to the library for staff meeting. Chuck, you can come on over if you would like."

I have even seen this legendary Chuck in the hallway. He passed me by one day while stating that he was here to eat lunch with his 15+ year teaching partner, but I didn't have the guts to say, "Wow, you are the legendary Chuck...I expected you to be taller."

It just goes to show how one person can make an impact on so many people. Even on people like me who have never met Chuck, and even on people driving by the school at 7:30am with their windows down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That part about them announcing things to Chuck...hilarious!!

Unknown said...

The only two Chucks I know are an ex-stepfather and ex-fiance -- don't care for either one of them. Not one of my favorite names, as you probably surmise.