Wednesday, January 23, 2008

recorders strike a funny note

So,
I was again teaching a recorder lesson. The class was doing exceptionally well. They are still working on B, A, and G. I have a policy that they get to play once out of turn without a consequence, and the second time they play out of turn they have to walk a lap.

Now... This class has not had to walk any laps so far, but for some reason any time any of them let out the tiniest little squeak in the middle of a rest the whole class jumped a mile high. If they played one peep after the end of the song, they would all look around suspiciously at each other. They were quick to point out each other's out of line peeps.

Anyway, there was a little peep that I chose to ignore, and they all opened their eyes as widely as they could because they all wanted to look as innocent as possible. None of them was going to admit that they had accidental peeped at the wrong time. I looked at them and said,

"Wow, you guys are jumpy! You need a little relaxation in your lives." I immediately turned to start the next song and was counting off, "one, two, ready..." when I heard, "Yah, if we even had a life." It was muttered by a discouraged looking fourth grade boy.

I can't lie, I lost it. It was a complete 14 karate crack up. The rest of the students started to snicker as well, and then we all laughed. I told him, "You win the award for the funnies thing I heard all day!"

I probably shouldn't have said that, because after class he came up to me and asked me, "what is my prize?"

Dakota and I have a good working relationship. I call him out for talking a lot, and he makes me laugh. It is a system of checks and balances and that's all there is to it.

No comments: